escape room project: late development
in this stage I was populating the rooms and finalizing the project, this is another key stage of the process. it is now too late to change any of the core elements of the level and I must go full steam ahead with the art to finalize the project.
the corridors were key to get right personally as traditionally they are a key point of focus when building atmosphere in this specific genre of game, meant to give a sense of claustrophobia he corridors are tight and small, additionally I built more atmosphere by reducing the light level and removing some of the lights, this works within the themes of the game as the ship has been heavily damaged by the parasite escaping its containment thus having broken and dim lights works in this narrative. its also important when building an environment is to think about what it would practically need for something like this to function in the real world so as a result of this I added exposed wiring to the roof this so all of the electronic elements in the level make sense and there is piping on the floor numerous functions.
I came back to finish the cafeteria, this first thing I did was go through and add appropriate textures to everything that I had left untextured, I then learnt how to make decals, I made them in photoshop. I created posters with every member of the team featured on them, this meant we are all physically in the game but these posters have some thematic value as they give you an idea of what the company you work for is like, one of them even foreshadows the parasite that you will face in the game. an important thing I did with the decals with purpose of helping the player find their way around was the colour coded lines, each room is numbered and colour coded, they then have a line in their respective colour that leads to them, this line starts at the directional sign near the start of the level.
the biggest project whilst creating the environment was the bridge of the ship, its a complexly shaped room, it also includes a complexly shaped window these elements were difficult to get right to begin with this completing the grey boxing I then added the basic textures to the walls and floor keeping it in line with the already established art style.
I made some more models for this room, they were the war table and the computer displays, the models themselves were simple the main detail came with the texture work I did I'm very proud of the work I managed to do in this department especially on the war table as it was a highly detailed graphic that I was able to make. other detailing I made for this room comprised of the existing assets I had already made this included adding the pipes and lights to add the sense of realism. additionally I added the computer screens and the posters I had already made to round out the bridge.
this is the conclusion of the work I personally did on this project, I advanced my skills in terms of environment design and art during the course of the project. I got to work on a proper art style and create everything in line with this art style which I had not done before and I had the freedom to express myself more and have control over the art, I took this seriously creating environments that I felt worked in a realistic sense and with the narrative that we had created for the game. I felt over the course of the project that I was constantly improving which I feel is the most important outcome of this project for me personally.






Comments
Post a Comment